Weddings & Civil Ceremonies at Papplewick Pumping Station
Set in tranquil countryside Papplewick Pumping Station is one of Europe’s great Industrial Monuments and a shining example of Victorian engineering that will provide a unique setting to your civil wedding ceremony.
Most couples choose the wonderfully ornate Engine House for the location of their ceremony. However, you may hire the Tarbotton Room or the Old Board Room located within the Superintendent’s House as alternative locations.
The Engine House can seat 30 people plus the wedding couple and two registrars on the Packing Flat floor where the ceremony will be conducted; up to 50 if all guests stand. An additional 40 guests can stand below on the Engine floor.
The Old Board Room can accommodate 15 people seated and has views across the Cooling Pond and grounds.
The Tarbotton Room is our smallest room that can seat approximately 12 people.
Please note that you can have an all standing or partially seated ceremony if you wish to accommodate more guests to your wedding.
The grounds and architectural splendour of the Pumping Station can be used as a stunning backdrop for photographs, especially the Engine House both inside and out, the Par Terre lawn and the Cooling Pond.
For further information on weddings please also see www.papplewickpumpingstation.org.uk
The ceremony package
The full hire of the site for your civil wedding ceremony comprises the use of:
- The Engine House or Old Board Room or Tarbotton Room
- Exclusive use of the grounds and Engine House interior for photographs
- Seating with chair covers & ceremony table
The full cost for the ceremony package is £750. A booking fee of £375 is required to confirm your booking.
Cheques payable to Papplewick Pumping Station Trust.
Additional charges - available during Summer only
Hire of cream chair bows - £35 + VAT
Hire of Par Terre lawn & drinks marquee for canapés, champagne or picnic - £185 + VAT
(note: food & drink not included. The lawn and marquee is available between April-Sept only)
Ceremony & Registrar
Papplewick Pumping Station is licensed only for civil non-religious ceremonies. Any music, reading, words or performance that forms any part of the ceremony must be secular. The content of the ceremony must be agreed in advance with the Superintendent Registrar who will attend the ceremony.
Should you decide on Papplewick Pumping Station as your wedding venue, you should contact the Nottingham County Council Registration Service (tel: 0300 500 8080) at the earliest opportunity to discuss the legal requirements and book a Registrar to conduct the ceremony.
Payment for the Registrar is not included in the hire fee.
Some important notes
Papplewick Pumping Station is a Scheduled Ancient Monument, the highest preservation order that can be bestowed upon a building in England. The scheduling exists to protect the site and buildings for future generations and as a consequence there are certain things you must take into account when planning your wedding:
- The flooring in some parts of the Engine House and other buildings is slightly uneven; please ensure your guests are aware of this.
- The staircase to the Packing Flat floor has patterned steps which are not suitable for certain high heeled shoes.
- The option for floral decoration inside the Engine House is currently not available. Please speak to the Museum Director should you wish to provide your own floral decoration.
- The stairs leading to the Engine House and the Superintendent’s House porches do not have banisters. Please ensure all your guests are aware of this.
- Oil. Although we try to remove as much oil as possible, the beam engines are working museum objects. Guests must be made aware of this and are advised not to lean against the engines, exposed pump rods or handrails.
* Please note: It is your responsibility to ensure your guests are aware of all of the above, especially section 5. The Pumping Station will accept no responsibility for damaged clothing or footwear.
Location & Parking
Papplewick Pumping Station is located on Rigg Lane just off the A60 between Nottingham and Ravenshead
and is within easy reach of Junction 27 of the M1.
The Station’s postcode is NG15 9AJ.
There are also several brown tourist signs in the area to help direct you to the venue.
Please note that the Pumping Station is not located in Papplewick Village!
We are able to discreetly accommodate the vehicles of wedding guests on site but if necessary we do have our main car park available across the road from the Pumping Station.
With regard to wedding cars and other specialist vehicles, our main gates are able to accommodate various modes of transport and can easily accept vintage Charabangs and Routemaster buses.
For further information & booking
Terms and conditions of hire are enclosed with this information. Should you be interested in holding your civil wedding ceremony at Papplewick Pumping Station, it is recommended that you contact us as soon as possible to arrange an appointment to visit the site:
Papplewick Pumping Station
0115 963 2938
For that special ‘Car’ or ‘London double-decker bus’ to take you and/or guests to the ceremony,
you may consider using Vintage Vehicle Hire, see their web site at www.vintagevehiclehire.co.uk
Speak to Peter (Fuzz) Jordan on 01777 817798 or 07790 234867
View of a typical wedding arrangement on the ‘Packing Flat’ in the Engine House
see pictures of a recent wedding