The six boilers were built by W & J Galloway & Sons.
Patentees & Makers of Manchester.
Boilers No: 1 & 6 where built in 1881 to power the beam engine that
sunk the pilot well, when the water extraction capacity for the
site was proved, the four other boilers (No: 2 to 5) where
ordered and installed in the new pumping station in 1883.
Galloway changed the Lancashire design by using two combustion
chambers or furnaces within each boiler casing, to improve the heat output.
Boilers No 4 & No 6 still have the original Galloway hearths.
Boilers No 1 to No 3 had the hearths replaced by the 'Pillatt'
Perfect Combustion Furnace in the 1920's and boiler No 5
had its hearths replaced at a similar time by hearths from
Wilton Patent Furnace Co. London.
The boilers are 29 ft long and 7 ft in diameter.
The boilers have two furnaces, each of which are 6 ft long by 3 ft wide.
Each boiler holds 3,500 gallons of water and burned 6 tons of coal each day.
This range of boilers are probably the oldest of their type still in use today.